the reality of Christianity as an accessory

As contradictory as it sounds, for some Christianity has nothing to do with Christ and everything to do with self.  For those who label but don't follow, calling yourself as a Christian is comfortable.  It's self-praising.  It's sometimes reading the bible or going to church for no reason but to feel like you're on the up-and-up with God.  It brings this feeling that you're "good" when you're anything but.

This bubble of illusion might be even more dangerous than not being a follower at all.  Luke 9:23 says "Then he said to them all, whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."  Just like marriage, commitment is an everyday choice.  The moment we think we can lay low and think that the Lord's grace can be abused, we lose.

The layers to Christianity stack tall and the countless religions make it blurry, but the Lord and the Word is solid.  Personally, lately I've been having to continuously refocus on my soul instead of the world.  It's so easy to fall into the mix and conform in one way or another.  But Mark 8:36 hits me with unvarnished truth.  To me, saving my soul is choosing to follow Jesus always with my flesh having no say.  It looks like rekindling the fire that can die down slowly by continuous effort both in solitude and with others who desire more than lukewarm Christianity.  And it starts with truly understanding the cost and meaning of the cross I wear around my neck day after day.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing! I loved it, Reminds me of what a struggle it truly is to commit to him daily, with our personal lives, and conflicts with families, friends, you still have to love. And that is hard for people to grasp, that JESUS is LOVE!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the sheep among goats

pick up your own fork